MANAGING FREQUENT HEARTBURN*
Patient presents with heartburn ≥2days/week
Recommend lifestyle modification plus OTC PPI 1x/day for 14 days
May repeat every 4 months as needed
Refer to a physician for assessment & diagnosis
*Algorithm adapted from reference 2.
Up to 2 hours
Up to 4 hours
Creates a barrier over stomach contents
Up to 12 hours
Blocks some acid production
Up to 24 hours
Suppress acid production
WHY RECOMMEND NEXIUM 24HR?
Omeprazole, the first PPI, was developed as a single optical isomer, with 50% in S-isomer and 50% in R-isomer. Esomeprazole, the active ingredient in Nexium 24HR, contains 100% S-isomer, which is more bioavailable than the R-isomer.7 Nexium 24HR (esomeprazole 20mg) was demonstrated to provide more consistent acid control and for ≥2 hours longer duration compared with omeprazole at the equivalent dose in a double-blind, crossover study.7
Nexium 24HR is the #1 recommended OTC PPI among Canadian physicians and pharmacists.*
*2018 IQVIA ProVoice Survey for OTC PPIs.
Common culprits include:
- Spicy foods
- Fatty or fried foods
- Citrus products
- Tomato products (including ketchup)
- Carbonated beverages
- Caffeinated beverages
- Reduce the size of the portions you eat.
- Wait 3 hours after eating before lying down to sleep.
- Sleep on an incline by raising the torso on a wedge.
- Wait 2 hours after eating before engaging in exercise.
- Avoid tight-fitting clothing around the abdomen.
- Do not smoke. Smoking weakens the lower esophageal sphincter, the muscle that keeps the stomach contents from flowing back into the esophagus.
- Being overweight can trigger heartburn. If appropriate, counsel the patient on healthy weight management strategies.
YOUR RECOMMENDATION IS GUARANTEED.
We have created a 100% money back guarantee so you can recommend Nexium 24HR to your patients with confidence. If they are not completely satisfied with their treatment, we will refund the full purchase price with our hassle-free, 100% money back guarantee. See details.